Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Top 5 Artists for the Future!

Some of these may have been older releases, but I heard them first last year. Some fantastic new artists in 2012 are convincing me it may be time to loosen my grip on the 60s/70s and embrace the present and find my next "Oasis".

Dry the River - Weights & Measures (2011)
A bit over-the-top on the intensity meter, but in the right mood, can overwhelm the senses. The only song that made me cry last year, maybe ever.

First Aid Kit - Emmylou (2012)
Swedish folk band fronted by 2 sisters singing in amazing harmony and drawing justified comparisons to S&G.

Fun. - Why am I the One (2012)
Approached them with caution because of how big they got with "We are young", but the "Some Nights" album is fantastic and hard to fault. This is another gem from that album.


Adele - Set Fire to the Rain (2011)
I came to Adele late when we picked up her 2 LPs in Flagstaff early in 2012. This song in particular, is powerful and beautiful at the same time. Brilliant - here's wishing to more from her in the future.

John Mayer - Walt Grace's Submarine Test, January 1967 (2012)
OK - not a new artist by any means, but this guy has so much talent - if he can stay off self-destructing for another decade, I believe he is going to do more amazing work in the coming years. Fantastic song from his 2012 release (Born and Raised). The song is a wonderfully vivid story layered with the chasing your dream theme. Stay focused, John! Or go crazy if you need to, just come back and put out great music.

No comments: